Sunday, July 21, 2019

Title: Monday’s Not Coming
Author: Tiffany D. Jackson
Recommended Grade Level: 8 and up
Summary: Claudia’s best friend Monday disappears and no one, not even her family, seems to care.
Where I found it: Porter Square Books
Why I chose it: Despite having heard of Tiffany D. Jackson’s book Allegedly, I have yet to
read any of her books. This book confronts issues of sexual and emotional abuse, race, class and gender,
making it a great book for bibliotherapy. 
Awards: Coretta Scott King--John Steptoe Award 

“A mesmerizing, punch-in-the-gut story about the power of friendship and the horrors hiding right in front of us.”
--Laurie Halse Anderson, author of Speak and Chains

“This thought-provoking thriller examines issues such as abuse, gentrification, and the marginalization of people
of color with nuance and sensitivity … A spellbinding, profoundly moving choice for YA collections.” --School Library Journal


Title: Contagion
Author: Erin Bowman
Recommended Grade Level: 9 and up
Summary: A crew responds to  a distress call on a distant planet, only to find everyone dead due to an unstoppable
evil force.
Where I found it: Porter Square Books
Why I chose it: It looks terrifying! I checked reviews on Amazon and 94% of 83 reviews are 4 or 5 stars. These reviews
noted that the book is “a perfect storm of dread and suspense” and “Bowman . . .  piles on horrors, and slowly feeds us
clues and truths.”  I’m not usually a horror fan but this book sounds exhilarating and hard to put down.


“Contagion is the perfect intersection of science fiction and horror—I couldn’t look away.”—Amie Kaufman,
New York Times bestselling author of Illuminae and Unearthed

“A twisting, turning, edge-of-your-seat blend of science fiction, thriller, and horror. The pace, action, and tension are
explosive from page one.”--ALA Booklist


Title: Let’s Go Swimming on Doomsday
Author: Natalie C. Anderson
Recommended Grade Level: 7 and up
Summary: Abdi, a teenage boy whose brother was kidnapped by Al-Shaabab, is himself kidnapped by the government
three years later and offered freedom if he infiltrates Al-Shaabab; Abdi agrees to do it hoping to save both his family
and his brother.
Where I found it: In my high school library
Why I chose it: Abdi’s story sounds horrific but I think teens will find his struggle illuminating and inspiring.


 “Anderson...breathe[s] ferocious life into a story that needs to be told. This is one of those tough but invaluable books
with the power to increase a reader's awareness of and empathy for teens who have lost the right to be young.”—Booklist


“A riveting account…[where] greed, guilt, and redemption are layered in a sober yet tender narrative showing the lengths
one will go to for loved ones.”—Kirkus Reviews


Title: The Ravenous
Author: Amy Lukavics
Recommended Grade Level: 10 and up
Summary: After their favorite youngest sister dies and returns as a ravenous eater of human flesh, the four remaining
sisters, who don’t get along particularly well, will do anything to keep the family together.
Where I found it: Bustle.com: The Five Creepiest YA Books According to #Murder Trending Author Gretchen MacNeil
Why I chose it: The combination of dysfunctional family, extreme creepiness and intense darkness sounds like a winning
one to me. A reviewer on Amazon gave it five stars, saying: “It's gripping, it's FUN and scary as hell.”
"A must-have for horror collections. Future fans of Stephen King will devour this one." --School Library Journal














No comments:

Post a Comment