Author: Matt Mendez
Recommended
Grade Level:
9 and up
Summary: Juan and
his friend JD dream of getting out of El Paso hometown and away from their
complicated personal lives. When Juan finds out his father may not be dead after
all but incarcerated, the two friends take a road trip to visit him while also
embarking on a journey of self-discovery. Where I found it: Goodreads.com
Why
I chose it:
This books gets lots of comparisons to Mexican Whiteboy which my 14 year old
son just read and really enjoyed. I also like that it is a book that might
appeal to boys but isn’t all about sports.
"Mendez offers enticing glimpses of Mexican-American
life, and he has an uncanny ability to capture the aimless bluster of young
boys posturing at confidence, behaving rashly to mask feeling insecure...we can
almost feel the existential claustrophobia of adolescence." Mj Franklin, ~
The New York Times, Book Review
Author: Roshana Choksi
Recommended
Grade Level:
9 and up
Summary: Wealthy
hotelier Séverin Montagnet-Alarie is forced to undertake a mission on behalf of
the elite Order
of Babel in nineteenth century Paris.
Where
I found it:
Public Library
Why
I chose it:
The reviews describe it as a book of suspense and intrigue that is hard to put
down.
“Chokshi delivers a thrilling, gritty new fantasy set in an
alternate nineteenth century Paris… Chokshi shines as a master storyteller in
her newest novel; the setting, world building, plot, and conflict are all
staggering. However, the elements that perhaps shine the most are the history,
riddles, mysteries, and science, woven together in a world brimming with power
and magic.” ― BOOKLIST, Starred Review
Author: Jessika Flek
Recommended
Grade Level:
7 and up
Summary: On the island of
Bellona, people are sacrificed to the Sun in order to protect themselves from the Night,
a group of dangerous people which snatches citizens during the night. Seventeen
year old Veda finds out that the story she has been told about who is good and
who is bad is not so clear cut after all as she embarks on a journey to save
her grandfather from being sacrificed.
Where
I found it:
Public library
Why
I chose it:
It sounds like it would appal to teens--fantasy, romance adventure all in one.
The first in a series, this fantasy adventure is quickly
paced with surprises at every turn and an ending that will leave teens
breathless and awaiting more. Fleck has crafted a fully realized world complete
with its own history and mythology to immerse her readers. VERDICT: Finely
tuned and masterfully written, this is a must-purchase for all fantasy shelves."
--School Library Journal
Author: Courtney Summers
Recommended
Grade Level:
9 and up
Summary: Sadie has spent her life
trying to keep her younger sister Maddie safe, but then Maddie is murdered and
Sadie is determined to find the man she knows killed her sister.
Where
I found it:
My school library
Why
I chose it:
This sounds like it is both suspenseful and heart-wrenching, a combination that
I think will appeal to teens.
Awards: Amelia Bloomer Lists -
Young Adult Fiction: 2019
Edgar
Allan Poe Awards: Best Young Adult
School Library Journal Best Books: 2018
“This is one of those stories that seeps into your bones
somewhere along the way, and it changes the way you look at the world a little.
It is the best mystery—and one of the best books, period—that I have ever read,
and it is also one of the bleakest, most devastating reading experiences of my
life.”-- Amazon reviewer




No comments:
Post a Comment