Thursday, July 11, 2019

Romance

Title: I Believe In a Thing Called Love
Author: Maureen Goo
Recommended Grade Level: 7 and up
Summary: Socially awkward overachiever known for her extreme planning of every aspect of her life uses Korean dramas
as her guide to jumpstarting one part of her life that she hasn’t been able to succeed at -- her love life.
Where I found it: my local library
Why I chose it: I keep hearing about Maurene Goo and I’ve never read anything by her. This book is supposedly a lighthearted
and funny and sounds like a great summer read. Also, this book made several Best Books of 2017 lists.

“Charming and awkward and hysterically funny, this is simply awesome!" ―Ellen Oh, author of the
Prophecy series and founder of We Need Diverse Books

Title: The Music of What Happens
Author: Bill Konisberg
Recommended Grade Level: 9 and up
Summary: Handsome jock meets poetic introvert and together they try to make a go of the latter’s dead father’s food truck
business while discovering truths about themselves and each other.
Where I found it: my local library
Why I chose it: I started reading it at the library and was sucked in. Like What If It’s Us, this book alternatives POV between two
narrators who have very different life experiences and temperaments. 

Title: Foolish Hearts
Author: Emma Mills
Recommended Grade Level: 8 and up
Summary: After overhearing the breakup between mean-girl Iris and her girlfriend, narrator Claudia finds herself developing an
unexpected friendship with Iris while working on a school Shakespeare production as well as feelings for Gideon, who is also
involved in the play.
Where I found it: In Love and Words booktuber then checked it out of my local library
Why I chose it: The booktuber couldn’t say enough good things about the main character and her love interest and many
goodreads reviews also called this book sweet and adorable. 

Awards:  YALSA best fiction of 2019

Title: Autoboyography
Author: Christina Lauren (pen name of Christina Hobbs and Lauren Billings)
Recommended Grade Level: 9 and up
Summary: Non-religious bisexual boy whose identity is accepted by his parents moves to a predominantly Mormon community and falls in love with a Mormon boy who represses his identity due to his religion.
Where I found it: In a display at the public library
Why I chose it: I find the religious aspect angle intriguing and the reminder of how hard a struggle it can be for LGBTQIA+ kids who not
only feel conflict with the parents but with their own sense of self.
Awards: Rainbow List 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment