Saturday, December 7, 2019

Top Ten Technology Tips for Teachers Redux (with Annotations)

1. Don’t feel like you have to master every product out there. Choose one of each type to know really well. Yep, still think this is true, maybe even more true because I realize how many products are out there that I've never heard of.

2. Exception to tip #1: If you are like most districts which rely heavily on Google: you need to know everything Google.  Take the time to learn it well and keep abreast of new applications. Confession: there are still lots of Google apps/tools I haven't tried but I definitely intend to!

3.  Most of us have our a particular computer/operating system that we feel most comfortable with, whether it is a Apple product, Windows, Android or Chrome. You need to be able to use them all! Still on board with this one too, but I admit to never having used an Android product.

4. Don’t be embarrassed to ask for help from a variety of sources. Within your own school you will find a surprising breadth and depth of technology knowledge. Everyone has their favorite and they just might have the answers you need.  Also, students are a great resource!  Just today I learned about an app, Audacity, from a foreign language teacher who said she used to use VoiceThread but it cost money so she was hoping to use Audicity instead. I had heard of VoiceThread but not Audacity so today I learned about new tool from a teacher.

5. Don’t exhaust yourself by trying out every new technology as soon as you hear about it.  It is okay to wait to see how others like it before taking the plunge. I would add to this that it is important not to become set in your ways and just stick to what you know--be open to trying to new tools. 

6. Remember that technology is supposed to help you to teach and your students to learn.  Don’t fall into the sunk cost fallacy of keeping doing something because you’ve invested time (or money) in it. If it isn’t working, be willing to scrap it and try something new. On the flip side, don't throw out something that works just because something new has come along. One of our science teachers uses Blackboard instead of  Google Classroom--she has used it for years and it works really well for her. She also likes it because she knows that when the students get to college they will most likely be using Blackboard not Classroom.

7. Do your research and talk to colleagues about what the like and dislike before investing the time into learning something new; remember though that everyone has different needs and skill levels so take theirs and yours into account when evaluating suggestions. Your fellow grade level subject matter teachers are your best allies in this department--don't go it alone.

8. Using technology such as a website or blog is a great way to communicate with parents but you need to keep it up to date--nothing is worse than a website that was started with the energy of a new school year and then languishes after a few months. In other words, don't bit off more than you can chew--think it through before going all in on a new tool that you need to keep on top of. You don't want it to become a burden.

9.  Model technology use in the classroom. This means more than just posting assignments and grades online or using a smartboard. There are lots of applications that enhance learning and are also fun for students. Get them hooked!. Sometimes we assume that just because students were born with a device in their hands that they will pick up new technology easily but that is not necessarily true. Just like us they need to be shown how to use it. Integrating technology into the classroom can expand your repertoire of teaching tools and engage students in creative ways.

10. Take advantage of any technology trainings your district offers. You might learn something you didn’t know that you didn’t know.  There are lots of really cool tools out there--have fun and explore! I know mine very occasionally offers training but unless mandatory they are sparsely attended. I think this must be technology overload, because we all think, who has the #@$# time?

And just to be bloodyminded (as my English mother would say), I would add one more to my Top 10 list (okay Top 11 now):

11.  Technology can be a huge help when it comes to working with students who, whether they are ELL students or have a physical or learning disability, need a little extra help. Translation, text-to-speech and speech-to-text apps are readily available as extensions or as stand alone programs.  Use them!

I know, I know, I failed to consider #11 in my own lesson plans, but I'm contrite!  Just this last week, several ELL students came to library and spoke into their phone and showed me the translation, and then I spoke back and they read the translation. A great way to communicate, especially for the students who are very new to English. It gives them a sense of agency and it enables me to help them better.



No comments:

Post a Comment